Prasorizo (πρασόρυζο) is the name of the traditional Greek leek rice dish. Just like spinach rice, leek rice is a simple, country dish that is straightforward to make, and healthy. You can enjoy prasorizo as a main dish especially during periods of fasting. However, you can have this as a side dish.
Ideal if you are a vegan, you need the following ingredients to make prasorizo: Greek olive oil, leeks, garlic clove, rice, tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
This prasorizo recipe, which serves 4 persons, takes around 20 minutes to prepare and 60 minutes to cook.
Prasorizo - Ingredients
- ½ cup Greek extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 3 leeks, trimmed of the toughest part of the greens, cleaned, and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup chopped fresh or canned plum tomatoes
- 2 cups of water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prasorizo - How to Make
- Start this authentic prasorizo recipe by taking a deep pan and adding the olive oil.
- Heat the olive oil over low heat.
- Add the chopped leeks and cook them until wilted, for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and stir the mixture to coat in the olive oil.
- Add the rice and stir to coat.
- Stir in the tomatoes, water, and salt, and pepper to taste.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice becomes tender for about 25 minutes.
- Serve drizzled with olive oil.