Lahanorizo is amazing proof of how a few, simple ingredients can turn into such a wonderful meal!! Lahanorizo (λαχανόριζο in Greek) is the name of the traditional cabbage and rice dish. This healthy and vegan dish belongs to one-pot Greek vegetable and rice dishes with spanakorizo being the most popular one of this category.
You need the following ingredients for this cabbage and rice recipe: cabbage, olive oil, onions, garlic, dill, thyme, rice, salt, and pepper.
This lahanorizo recipe takes 45 minutes to prepare and 40 minutes to cook. It serves 4 persons.
Lahanorizo - Ingredients
- 1 medium head of cabbage (around 1.2 kg)
- 125 g of Greek olive oil
- 125 g of onions, chopped
- 65 g of garlic, chopped
- 65 g of fresh dill, chopped
- 1tbsp of fresh thyme
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of fresh ground black pepper
- 250 g rice
- 1½ cups of water
Lahanorizo - How to Make
- Start this traditional lahanorizo recipe by washing well the cabbage under fresh water.
- Peel off and discard outer leaves of cabbage. Wash again. Then, core, chop and set aside the cabbage.
- Take a pan and add some olive oil. Bring to heat and gently sauté onions and garlic over low heat until soft and golden. Add all herbs and spices, stir to combine well.
- Add the chopped cabbage and turn down the heat to very low.
- Cook the cabbage, uncovered, for 15 minutes until the size of the cabbage has reduced by about half.
- Stir the cabbage about every 5 minutes while cooking, mixing the cabbage to cook evenly.
- Add the rice to the cabbage mixture, stir well to combine, and add water.
- Raise heat slightly to low and cook, covered, for 20 - 25 minutes until rice is done.
- Remove pan from heat and allow to rest, covered, for approx 10 minutes before serving.
- Add a fresh squeeze of lemon.