Peppers stuffed with feta are another brilliant example of how Greek cuisine combines simple ingredients to create magic. We call this mouthwatering appetizer "gemistes piperies me feta" in Greek.
You can try this recipe with any kind of peppers. However, I prefer the sweet red ones, especially the piperies Florinis. After a long voyage from South America to Europe with Christopher Columbus in the 16th century, these red peppers arrived in the region of Western Macedonia a century later. This "D" shaped pepper adapted to the region's special soil and climate, resulting in this unique variety.
If you feel more adventurous or looking after an extra spice, you can use whatever pepper you like. When I make this peppers stuffed with feta recipe, I like combining the peppers variety. I also like mixing feta cheese with kefalotyri or kefalograviera. This gives a much richer taste to the filling.
Kefalotyri (or kefalotiri) is a Greek hard, salty white cheese made from sheep's milk or goat's milk (or both). Kefalograviera is similar to kefalotyri but slightly softer and less salty. You can find both kinds of cheese at any Greek food store.
This peppers stuffed with feta recipe takes 10 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake. Ideal if you are a vegetarian, it serves 4 to 6 people.
Peppers Stuffed With Feta - Ingredients
- 3 sweet red peppers and 3 green peppers (or any pepper you prefer)
- 300 g of feta cheese, crumbled
- 150 g of kefalotyri, grated
- ¼ cup of parsley, chopped
- 1 medium-size egg
- ½ lemon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, grated
- ½ teaspoon of oregano, dried.
- Greek Olive oil
Peppers Stuffed With Feta - How to Make
- Start this recipe by washing the peppers well. With a sharp knife cut them and remove the seeds and the insides.
- Take a bowl and beat the egg for about a minute.
- Add the feta, kefolotyri, parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic, to the egg bowl. Mix well. Taste the mixture and add salt to taste if needed.
- Stuff each pepper with the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Take a small baking pan and grease it with some olive oil.
- Place the stuffed peppers. Sprinkle them with the oregano. Add some water. Pour some olive oil over the peppers.
- Bake for 30 mins until the peppers get a nice golden brown color.
- Squeeze half of a lemon over finished peppers (optional).