Fasolakia yiahni (or giahni) is a Greek green beans in a tomato sauce dish. To make this delicious green beans recipe dish you need the following ingredients: green beans, olive oil, onion, potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, salt, and pepper.
This is one of the healthiest foods you can eat as fasolakia yiahni is rich in fiber, potassium, and vitamins A, B6 & C. You can make this recipe with fresh or frozen green beans. In case you use fresh ones, cut the ends and with a vegetable peeler remove the strings of the beans.
This fasolakia yiahni recipe, which serves 4 persons, takes 15 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to cook. Ideal for vegans.
Fasolakia Yiahni - Ingredients
- 1 kilo of green beans, fresh or frozen
- 70 g of olive oil
- 1 big onion, finely chopped
- 3 potatoes, cut
- 4 – 5 ripe fresh tomatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- 2 cups of water
- 125 g of fresh parsley, finely chopped
Fasolakia Yiahni - How to Make
- Start this green beans with potatoes recipe by washing well the beans with fresh water and leaving them in a colander to drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and sauté the onion until it becomes translucent.
- Add the beans and the potatoes and mix for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and oregano.
- In a food processor blend the tomatoes with the tomato paste.
- Add them to the beans, as well as some water to cover them.
- Bring to boil, cover with lid, lower heat and simmer for about 45 minutes or until potatoes are soft and sauce is thick .
- Add the parsley before the end and mix.
- Serve while hot.