Kourabiedes me karidia (κουραμπιέδες με καρύδια) are the traditional Greek butter cookies with walnuts. However, do not expect to try classic kourabiedes as these cookies are quite unique and unusual.
We may be used to enjoying kourabiedes with almonds at Christmas, but this recipe is very special. It is really worth trying if you are open-minded as they are full of flavor and aromas. To make kourabiedes with walnuts you need the following ingredients: walnut kernels, semolina, breadcrumbs, butter, eggs, sugar, cognac, rosewater, and powdered sugar. For your reference, when I mention a cup as a measurement this equals 250 ml.
This kourabiedes with walnuts recipe takes 1½ hours to prepare and around 25 minutes to bake. It gives around 80-90 pieces.
Kourabiedes with Walnuts - Ingredients
- 1 kg of walnut kernels, grated
- 100 g of semolina
- 250 g of breadcrumbs
- 5 eggs
- 250 g of sugar
- 250 g of butter, melted
- 50 ml of cognac
- Powdered sugar for topping
Kourabiedes with Walnuts - How to Make
- Put the butter in the mixer bowl with the sugar, set it on high, and mix it until you get a fluffy and light mixture.
- Add the eggs and continue mixing for a while.
- In a bowl add the walnuts, breadcrumbs, semolina, and cognac and mix well.
- Add the egg mixture to the bowl and slowly mix with a spatula.
- Then knead the dough until it becomes soft.
- Cover the bowl and allow it to rest of 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Take a baking pan and cover it with some baking sheets.
- Pinch a bit of dough, roll it between your fingers and then mold it into an oval or crescent shape.
- Place them on the baking pan. Do this with all of the dough.
- Bake for around 25 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool down.
- Pour them with the rosewater and top them with the powder sugar
- Serve on a plate.
You should definitely try these kourabiedes with walnuts because they are fantastic and different. Merry Christmas!