Koulourakia portokaliou (or portokalokouloura) is the name of the traditional Greek orange cookies. The zesty orange peel delightedly flavors these cookies making them one of the favorite cookies for your kids (and not only them)!
This orange cookies recipe requires the following ingredients: flour, butter, eggs, whiskey, vanilla, orange zest, baking powder, and sugar.
Koulourakia Portokaliou - Ingredients
- 1 pound of butter
- 375 g of sugar
- 9 eggs
- 1-ounce of whiskey
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- The zest of a large orange
- 2 kg of flour
- 8 teaspoons of baking powder
Koulourakia Portokaliou - How to Make
- Start this traditional Greek orange cookies recipe by mixing butter and sugar together for 10 minutes.
- Add 8 eggs, one at a time, beating well.
- Add whiskey, vanilla, and orange rind and blend thoroughly.
- Sift baking powder with flour. Add a little at a time to creamed mixture and blend by
- If the dough is too soft to handle, add another 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Pinch off pieces of dough and roll them into rope and shape them into a ring.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Beat remaining egg yolk slightly with a little water added and brush cookie tops.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.