This traditional Greek tomato soup is ideal for any time of the year. Tomatosoupa is a healthy soup that you can enjoy in summer and in winter as well. To make this dish you need the following ingredients: tomatoes, coarse bulgar, onion, water, olive oil, Greek yogurt, mint, salt, and pepper.
Tomatosoupa combines the flavors of tomatoes with bulgur wheat. The hearty and filling bulgur wheat is a cereal rich in fiber and complex carbohydrates. It contains much more fiber than white rice and significant amounts of B vitamins such as thiamine, riboflavin, and niacin, which are essential for the normal metabolism and proper functioning of the brain. Moreover, it contains vitamin E, which contributes to the proper functioning of the cardiovascular system, triple potassium and four times more phosphorus than white rice, and significant amounts of minerals such as iron, magnesium, and zinc, but also trace elements, such as selenium, which has a strong antioxidant effect.
Combine this with the olive oil and the Greek yogurt and we are talking about one of the healthiest vegetarian soups you could ever make. This tomatosoupa recipe which serves 4 persons takes ten minutes to prepare and 50 minutes to cook.
Tomatosoupa - Ingredients
- 3 medium tomatoes, grated
- 200 g of coarse bulgur
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 liters of water
- 50 ml of extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 4 tbsp. Greek yogurt, preferably low fat and high protein
- 1 tsp. of fresh mint, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper
Tomatosoupa - How to Make
- Take a saucepan, heat the olive oil and fry the onions until soft and translucent.
- Add the grated tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the bulgur wheat and the water and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 45 minutes until the tomatosoupa thickens and the bulgur has become soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve while the tomato soup is still warm in individual bowls,
- Top it with a spoonful of yogurt in the middle and sprinkled with chopped mint.