Tahinopita is the name of the Greek tahini cake. Ideal if you are fasting, this dessert is one of the few cakes that you can prepare during Lent as you don't use butter for this.
To make tahinopita, you need the following ingredients: tahini, cognac, baking soda, all-purpose flour, ground cinnamon, chopped walnuts, golden raisins, orange juice, and powdered sugar. You can find tahini, which is a paste made from toasted hulled sesame, in any Greek or Middle Eastern food store. Many people consider tahini a superfood because of its valuable nutrients. Tahini is full of protein, B vitamins, calcium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus, and polyunsaturated fatty acids. If tahini has separated, blend it well before using it for this tahini cake recipe.
This tahinopita recipe, which gives around 36 pieces, takes around 20 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to bake. I suggest you use a 9 x 12-inch baking pan.
Tahinopita - Ingredients
- 250 g of tahini
- 250 g of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cognac
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 375 g of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 250 g of chopped walnuts
- 125 g of golden raisins
- 250 ml of orange juice
- Powdered sugar for topping
Tahinopita - How to Make
- Start this Greek tahini cake recipe by beating tahini in a large bowl with an electric mixer.
- Gradually add the sugar.
- Combine the cognac and baking soda and add to the tahini mixture.
- Sift together the flour with cinnamon and combine with walnuts and raisins.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and orange juice alternately to the tahini batter.
- Mix thoroughly after each addition.
- At this point, you may need to add water or more flour to attain proper consistency. Make sure that the batter of tahinopita should be thicker than an average cake batter.
- Butter the baking pan and cover its bottom with some buttered wax paper.
- Pour in batter and spread evenly.
- Bake the tahinopita for 45 minutes, or until the cake gets a nice golden brown color.
- Allow the tahinopita to cool in the pan.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar while the cake is still warm.
- Cut the cake with it is completely cool.