Kreatosoupa is a favorite lunch dish, especially for those few cold, rainy, and windy days of winter. This traditional Greek beef soup is hearty, filling, and comforting. To make it you need the following ingredients: beef, canned tomatoes, celery sticks, onion, carrots, olive oil, potatoes, orzo, salt, and freshly ground pepper.
This beef soup with orzo recipe takes only 10 minutes to prepare and 75 minutes to cook.
Kreatosoupa - Ingredients
- 600 g of beef, cut in 3-4cm cubes
- 400 g of canned tomatoes
- 4 celery sticks
- 1 onion, whole
- 2 carrots, cut into slices
- 2 potatoes, cut in pieces
- 50 ml of Greek olive oil
- 100 g of orzo
- Freshly ground pepper
Kreatosoupa - How to Make
- Start this traditional Greek beef soup recipe by taking a medium saucepan and adding the oil.
- Heat the oil and gently fry the beef cubes until they become golden brown on all sides.
- Stir the meat often to avoid sticking to the bottom.
- Pour 2 liters of water into the saucepan and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the kreatosoupa simmer for 40 minutes, occasionally collecting with a slotted spoon the foam that forms on the surface.
- Add the vegetables and continue to boil for another 20 minutes, until the meat is soft and easily breaks with a fork.
- Finally, add the orzo and boil for another 10 minutes, until it softens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve while the kreatosoupa is still hot.
I enjoy my kreatosoupa with a dash of lemon juice on top and toasted bread aside. If I am next to a burning fireplace, my soup tastes even tastier. Enjoy!