Kotopoulo souvlaki is the name of the Greek grilled chicken skewers. This recipe is also known as kotopoulo kalamaki which means chicken on a stick. Along with pork souvlaki, chicken souvlaki happens to be one of the most popular and healthiest Greek foods. There is a store in every other corner selling them. Funny enough, this happens to be Greeks fast food.
Marinate the meat the night before you make them or at least for three hours. This way the chicken souvlaki will be tender and most delicious. You need the following ingredients: chicken breasts, olive oil, wine vinegar, red wine, dried oregano, garlic, green peppers, cherry tomatoes, and salt.
You can always make chicken souvlaki without the vegetables. In that case, you will not need the green peppers and the tomatoes. Either way, it is delicious. This kotopoulo kalamaki recipe gives 12 pieces.
Chicken souvlaki - Ingredients
- 3 whole chicken breasts, skinned and boned, cut into bite-size squares
- 125 g of olive oil
- 75 g of wine vinegar
- 75 g of red wine
- ½ of tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 green peppers, each cut into 6 squares, for a total of 12 pieces
- 12 cherry tomatoes
Chicken souvlaki - How to Make
- Start this authentic Greek grilled chicken skewers recipe by combining the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the chicken squares and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Using 12 long (8-to 9-inch) skewers, arrange alternating pieces of chicken, green pepper, and tomatoes.
- Brush the chicken souvlaki with some of the marinade.
- Barbecue over charcoal (or under a broiler) in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, brushing with marinade and turning frequently.
- Add some salt to taste and serve right away.