Vasilopita me mandarini is a Greek New Year's cake with mandarin. Quite different from the traditional vasilopita recipes, this New Year's cake with mandarin is unique and will impress your family and loved ones.
Vasilopita with mandarin requires the following ingredients: self-raising flour, sugar, butter, cognac, eggs, baking powder, mandarin juice, mandarin zest, and powdered sugar. To see if the vasilopita is ready, I suggest dipping a knife to check if it is cooked (if it is dry) otherwise cook a little more.
This vasilopita with mandarin recipe, which serves 10-12 persons, takes 20 minutes to prepare and 60 minutes to bake.
Vasilopita with Mandarin- Ingredients
- 625 g of self-raising flour
- 250 g of sugar
- 200 g of butter
- 90 ml of cognac
- 3 eggs
- 20 g of baking powder
- The juice of 5 mandarins
- The zest of 5 mandarins
- Powdered sugar
- One clean coin, wrapped in aluminum foil
Vasilopita with Mandarin - How to Make
- Take a bowl and sift the flour.
- Preheat oven to 180 °C degrees.
- Grease well a baking pan with butter.
- In another bowl and beat the butter with the sugar until sugar is dissolved and the mixture is fluffy.
- Add the eggs one by one. Continue mixing.
- Add the mandarin zest, mandarine juice, and cognac. Continue mixing until you get a soft, homogeneous dough.
- Place the coin in the pan and pour evenly the dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for about 1 hour.
- Remove when ready and allow to cool down.
- When cool, top with powdered sugar.