This strifti tiropita is one of my favorite ones. What is tiropita? It is the Greek word for cheese pie! Tiropita is a layered pastry food made with layers of buttered phyllo and filled with a feta cheese-egg mixture. This traditional tiropita recipe I share with you is a favorite and truly authentic Greek cheese pie. This is the same feta cheese pie my grandmother used to make us every time I visited her when I was a kid. Serve while it is still hot. I also enjoy this Greek cheese pie when it is cold. This is a great snack for my kids. I make this authentic Greek tiropita at least once a week for them and they love it! Follow this step-by-step tiropita recipe and you will learn how to make a delicious one before you know it! We call it strifti because of its shape.
Strifti Tiropita - Ingredients
- 1 package of phyllo dough (must be in room temperature)
- 600 g of Greek feta cheese
- 100 g of grated gruyere cheese (Greek graviera)
- 3 tablespoons of fine semolina
- 1 cup of milk
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of fresh mint
- 1 cup of Greek olive oil
Strifti Tiropita - How to Make
- Take a large bowl. Put the feta cheese and crumble it with a fork.
- Into a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Then, add the milk and grated gruyere cheese and mix it well.
- Add the mixture to the bowl with the feta cheese.
- Then, add the chopped mint, some pepper, and sprinkle with semolina. Stir well the mixture.
- Preheat oven at 350 °F.
- Take a cooking brush and generously grease with some olive oil a baking pan.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on your countertop and lightly brush it with some oil too.
- Spread along some of the cheese stuffing and wrap it.
- Twist it slightly in order to make a circle and place it in the baking pan.
- Follow steps 8 and 9. Take the wrapped phyllo dough and place it at the end of the first wrapped phyllo. Repeat until you have a big round pie.
- Pour some oil over feta cheese pie.
- Spray the pie with some water. Place it in the oven.
- Cover it with some parchment paper for baking.
- Remove the parchment paper after 45 minutes.
- Continue baking until the Greek feta cheese pie gets a golden brown color.
- Allow to cool down for 5 minutes