Lahanodolmades (λαχανοντολμάδες in Greek) is the name of the traditional Greek stuffed cabbage rolls. A cabbage roll, in general, is a dish consisting of cooked cabbage leaves wrapped around a variety of fillings. The Greek filling version consists of ground beef and rice.
Greek lahanodolmades avgolemono recipe requires the following ingredients: cabbage, ground meat, rice, onion, olive oil, flour, eggs, lemon, salt, and pepper.
Two tips to make this dish even more delicious: first, you can replace half of the beef ground meat with pork ground meat. Second, you can lay some cabbage leaves on the bottom of the pot so lahanodolmades do not stick.
This authentic lahanodolmades, which serves around 6 to 8 persons, takes 60 minutes to prepare and 45 minutes to cook.
Lahanodolmades – Ingredients
- 1 large cabbage
- 1/2 kg ground meat
- 1/2 cup rice
- onion (finely chopped)
- salt, pepper
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 2.5 tbsp flour
Lahanodolmades – How to Make
- Start this traditional Greek cabbage rolls recipe by boiling water in a large pot with a little salt.
- In the meanwhile, clean the cabbage and remove the hard stem.
- Wash it and boil it in the water for 10min.
- Mix the ground meat, rice, salt, and pepper and knead well.
- Wrap the lahanodolmades by putting in each leaf of the cabbage a tablespoon of the meat/rice mix. Fold the two ends of the leaf and roll them up into a cylindrical shape.
- Put the lahanodolmades in an empty pot, after you lay some cabbage leaves on the bottom of the pot, and put on top of them a plate heavy enough to press them down so that they do not open up as they boil.
- Add enough water to cover them, and boil them for 40-50 min.
- When they are ready, take them out, put them on a platter, and work on the sauce.
- To make the sauce, heat the butter in a pot, melt it, add the flour, and stir with a wooden spoon. Add the juice of the cabbage rolls while stirring at the same time.
- Beat the eggs with lemon juice.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, and pour the egg/lemon mix little by little.
- Pour the white sour sauce over the lahanodolmades and serve them.